Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why I won't be attending #10NTC

If you work at a non-profit doing technology, marketing, communications, social media, PR, outreach or any other related field, the annual Nonprofit Technology Conference (NTC) held by the folks at the Nonprofit Technology Network (NTEN) is a must to attend. I didn't attend in 2008, but really wish that I had. I attended in 2009, and even though it was a week before our major fundraiser, I feel like I learned a lot. 

So, it may surprise you that I won't be attending. It was a difficult decision, and I'm going to miss seeing a lot of folks.

Most of you know that I'm very seriously looking for a new job. If the stars align, I will be doing communications/online marketing work at a high-technology company soon. While I have really enjoyed working for a non-profit, I really want to get back in to the tech world. 

It came down to a question of value for my current non-profit. Flying me to Atlanta, putting me up in a hotel for a couple of nights and paying for the conference is a big expense. We have a fairly limited marketing budget, which is under more pressure due to the current California budget problems. While I know I would have a great time in Atlanta and have a lot of fun networking with great folks, the value of what I'd bring back to the organization would be limited.

The other option would be for me to pay for the conference myself, but given my short-term and long-term career goals that doesn't seem like the wise option. I am looking at other conference options ... SOBcon is on the list and so are others. 

Posted via web from Sue Anne's Posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment