Sunday, March 28, 2010

In Person Networking

I'm looking for a job, and I have been for months. My job search has been slow, mostly because I'm in the very lucky position of currently having a job while also looking for a job. I've also been thinking of doing some consulting. 

While I can be very social online, I've been trying to get out there and get to some in-person networking events. I'm an introvert at heart, and so these events are tricky for me. For some reason, there were three such events this week - a panel by the social media club, a PRSA (Public Relations Society of America) mixer and the spring mixer for the IABC (International Association of Business Communicators). 

When I attend these things, I have to really step outside of myself and be uncomfortable. I often find myself standing in a corner and have to make myself walk up and join a conversation. 

The good news is that it's working. I've reconnected with some people that I hadn't seen in awhile; I've met some people in person that I'd only previously known via Twitter; I made a connection that led to a small consulting gig; and I've made a lot of other connections that will hopefully continue to aid my job search. 

Posted via web from Sue Anne's Posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment